Try this neater (and in my opinion, tastier!) version of your classic sloppy joe.
Author: Maddie Ross
Serves: 6 burgers
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large bowl, mash together the beans with the back of a fork. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. (I find this is easiest to do with my hands.)
- Form the mixture into 6 even patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Transfer burgers to the fridge to firm up for 30-60 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook your burgers, preheat your oven to 350 F. Bake burgers for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve on toasted buns with arugula and tomato slices.